Wild Rice Casserole, Mushroom and Creamy Chicken Recipe
Serves: 6 prep: 0:45 total time: 2:00
- 8 oz. Gruyère
- ½ c. fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Toasted sliced almonds
- 1½ c. wild rice blend
- 2 large cloves garlic
- Kosher salt
- 1 package spinach
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 c. milk
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. white or cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- Up to the temperature of 375°F, heat the oven and oil a casserole dish. As per the instructions given on packet, cook the rice.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Cover it after adding onions and cook for 6 minutes, stir it occasionally. Cook for another 5 minute after adding mushrooms and toss it occasionally. Cook for 1 minute after adding thyme and garlic. Toss it with parsley and spinach after transferring it to a large bowl.
- Over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tbsp’s of oil after wiping out the skillet. Cook it for about 1 minute after sprinkling the flour over its top and stir it continuously. Whip the milk slowly. Simmer it for about 4-5 minutes. Add cayenne, cheese, ¼ tbsp pepper and ¾ tbsp salt after removing it from heat. Till the sauce gets smooth and the cheese melts, stir it.
- Chop the chicken and discard the bones and skin. To the cheese mixture, add rice and chicken and toss it to coat. Fold the spinach mixture in and to the prepared casserole dish, transfer it. Cover it with foil and bake for about 45 minutes till it starts bubbling around the edges. Let it stand for about 5 minutes before serving.